April 5, 2011

Volunteer Spotlight: Callie Booker


My love for pit bulls began to emerge about five years ago. While in high school I worked part time at a kennel. It was during that time I determined pit bulls were my most favorite breed. I noticed that all the pit bulls in boarding were the sweetest dogs! I enjoyed their loving personalities and the fact that they felt the need to be at your side all the time. I was also won over by their appearance, especially the big heads and wide smiles.

Currently, I am a student at Alamance Community College. I also work a small part time job, as well as, volunteer for CCB (which I began doing about 6 months ago). When I first discovered CCB I had been watching a dog show on TV that was focusing on pit bulls being mistreated. Being a huge pit bull lover, I felt a determination to help make a change for the breed. So I got online and found CCB was my local pit bull rescue. Because I work most weekends, I have not been able to attend any events for CCB, yet, but I have helped with lots of transports and I am the contact for owner surrender inquiries. I also think I am going to be fostering soon since I am fortunate enough to have a landlord that is very open to pit bulls. When I am able, I even make efforts to donate a couple bucks to CCB because I know every little bit can help contribute to another pit bull saved.

I have gotten a lot of happiness, as well as some sadness, out of working with pit bulls but my love for the breed has also impacted my life in a way I never thought it would. I have recently gotten engaged and I wouldn’t have met my fiancĂ©, Lucas, if it weren’t for his pit bull, Irie. I’ll try to make a long story short: while my fiancĂ© was away at school, his mother, who lives next door to my parents, would watch Irie. I was working on a school project about pit bulls to help spread awareness and such so I asked if I could use Irie as my example to represent how great the breed truly is. His mother said yes. She then told Lucas and he ended up contacting me afterwards, interested in how everything went. Now, almost two years later, we are renting a house in Hillsborough that has a huge fenced in backyard that is perfect since we have 4 pit bulls! We also have a Chihuahua, who, ironically, intimidates our pitties. I am so lucky that our mutual love for pit bulls was what first connected us and brought us together.

From my experience with pit bulls, I have learned that the more I am around them, the more I adore them and the more I want to help out and promote this breed. What CCB does is truly amazing and I am so thankful to be even just a small part of it!

-Callie

No comments:

Post a Comment