September 11, 2011

Volunteer Spotlight: Meghan Pragel

Hi there! My name is Meghan.  I do graphics work, update PBRC and Pet Portal, and will start event coordinating soon for CCB. I had dogs growing up my entire life and I have loved having them around. When I started living on my own the first dog that I owned was a little brindle pittie named Star.  I then decided to get her a friend and found a couple that wanted to get rid of their older pitbull to make room for a puppy so I said I would take him off their hands.  His name was Butch and he later became my inspiration and push into the rescue world that ignited the passion in me for pitbull advocacy. I faced a lot of intolerance in the neighborhood where I lived for my dogs being the breed they were. One morning Butch saw another dog, wanted to go play and he got away from me.  Before he even got to the other dog a neighbor nearby ran after and assaulted him. I was shocked and angered. When I went to the police about it I was told that there was nothing they could do.  Pitbulls were known for their “locking jaws” and aggressive behavior so the man acted out in fear for his life. The next day I searched the internet and found a pitbull rescue in the area and started volunteering. I did home visits, events, and anything else that was needed of me. I truly believe that they are misunderstood and have the wrong reputation. They are some of the sweetest dogs I have ever come in contact with and they are a joy to be around. I have had to defend myself and this breed to my friends and family countless times but their cause is something I truly believe in and I will continue to defend it. Today my boyfriend and I have two pit mix rescues and they are the joys of our lives. I don’t know what I would do without them. I am very thankful to have found CCB to be able to continue my volunteer work in educating people about this breed.  As far as who I am outside of the rescue world I asked my friend Lynn if she would write a little something, since I am not really good about talking about myself personality wise, so here is a little insight from one of my best and oldest friends, “I would say that you treat your bestest (human) friends just as well as you treat your doggy children. You are not only extremely loyal, but always go above and beyond to make your friends happy. I know that if I ever needed you, you would do your best to help me in whatever way you could - as you would for your dogs, and dogs of friends. Also, even though you now live in NC, I always feel like we will have that bond that we developed in high school, again, much like you probably have with a lot of the dogs that have come in and out of your life.” That being said, I am anxious to keep getting more involved and meet all of the other volunteers. I have found that other people like me, “bully friends” as I like to call them, are some of the best people I have ever met.

No comments:

Post a Comment