August 5, 2011

Volunteer Spotlight: Samantha Nguyen


My love for pit bulls started when I adopted my first dog, Emerson, in 2009. At the time I had no idea that he was a pit and no clue what to expect based on the things I had heard. When Emerson joined our family I knew that I had to throw everything I had been told out the window. The sweet little guy was a lot of work, but every day he surprised me. He was by far the most intelligent and affectionate dog I had ever encountered. Even my husband, who was really not a dog fan, fell in love. As Emerson grew we faced breed discrimination and doubtful comments about his behavior. I knew that the only way for our friends and family to be supportive would be to show them what a great dog he is.

My husband and I attended obedience training through the Positive Pit bull and about a year ago I joined CCB as a volunteer. It felt good to meet with other pit owners and work together to find forever homes for shelter dogs and to educate the public about the breed. In 2010 we decided to foster Chelsea who quickly snuggled into our hearts. After just a week of fostering we decided that her place was here with us. This year I became an event coordinator for CCB. I enjoy showing off our adopt-a-bulls and sharing my love for the breed with others.

1 comment:

  1. What a great story! You are so right; these dogs are so smart and gentle. I can't imagine my life without my sweet pit Sadie! CCB rocks!

    ReplyDelete