March 6, 2011

Volunteer Spotlight: Janet and Cassie Brown

My daughter and I are new to CCB. Once I told Cassie that we were asked to be the Volunteer Spotlight, she asked if we would be called the Dynamic Duo! She makes me laugh!

There is a little story about how we got started working with CCB. We have two dogs – a Boston Terrier named Frank and a Boxer named Roger. The dogs just happened to become part of our lives. Frank was found in SC on a farm and Roger needed a home after his owner passed away. We had a full house at this point!! However, my husband and I were at a party a couple of years ago and fell in love with Maggie. Maggie is a pit mix puppy that my friends had recently taken in. They had both Maggie and her brother Hank. After having both puppies for a while, they decided they only needed one! I left that night with Maggie in my hands!

Once we had her home, we all started looking up and researching her breed. My husband has always said he wanted a pit bull, but I had never really thought about it. BUT Maggie was SO loving, SO attentive, SO loyal, SO beautiful! We fell completely and totally in love. I started looking up pit bull groups on Facebook just to learn more and found CCB. To be honest, I just have never been much of a volunteer. There was just something about this breed that made me want to get involved. I got Cassie involved right away with me! It has become “our thing” – our mother/daughter time!

Cassie is so helpful at all the events she attends. She has even written about her experience for a few school papers, as well as her camp counselor application (she got accepted at Camp Kanata this summer as a Counselor in Leadership Training!!!) I feel this is a good experience for a teenager to be involved in a volunteer group, and this has been good for me too – you just feel so good about helping!

Cassie and I just attended the volunteer orientation with Amanda and the crew. I am happy to report that I am about to plan my first adoption event at a local doggy day care here in Raleigh! You all better come help and support Cassie and I!

No comments:

Post a Comment