October 16, 2012

Volunteer Spotlight: Christina Pierce

Volunteer Spotlight: Christina Pierce

I am Christina Pierce. I began CCB over a year and a half ago when, my friend, Melissa Valentine became involved in transporting a rescue by the name of 'Hooch.' She and I were both Pit lovers and had come to know one another because our daughters played on the same softball team. Shortly after Melissa transported Hooch, she sent me an email asking if I could take a picture of a blonde dog paw in a human hand, it was something CCB needed at the time and knowing my love of photography, she'd contacted me to see if I had a photo on file. I sent an email to the volunteer coordinator at the time, volunteering my photography services. I never did get a call to photograph the dogs, but I did volunteer to take Hooch to an adoption event in Asheboro. As time progressed I began to attend more and more events, and became more and more active in CCB. 
I have rescued dogs all my life, I have never been one who could drive past a stray and not stop to help. I admire dogs and have engulfed my entire adult life in trying to save them and help people provide the lives they deserve. I opened my own rescue in 1998 and ran it solely until 2003 when I was forced to shut my doors due to divorce and unsure relocation of myself and my daughter. In 2004 I met my current husband, whom didn't believe in indoors dogs. Imagine his surprise when he entered my house the first time, to be told, we had to sit in the kitchen because my dog (my beloved Boxer, Kayla Jane) was comfortably stretched on my only sofa and couldn't be disturbed. After a short conversation, he soon realized that dog was queen. He learned to appreciate her as much as I for being the beautiful creature she was and in 2006 when we bought a home together we made sure it was a one story, as my girl was becoming a senior citizen and couldn't climb stairs. The last week of September 2008, my beloved Kayla Jane left for the bridge. Though we had 'acquired' a pack of pups we call the 'Weenie Rat Brat Pack' her loss was a shock wave thought out our lives, hearts and souls that we still feel to this day. 
     Content no dog would ever fill her spot, we declined a gift of a Boxer puppy from my mom and decided we'd be content with the little guys... there were three of them after all. Roughly 7-9 months later, my daughter came home asking if I'd seen the 'stray' that had been running the neighborhood. Everyone who knows me knows my love of dogs and she is no different. I hadn't but I would now... and the quest began. I couldn't tell what type of dog he was, nor did I care but for the next week and a half I chased, tried to bribe and begged this little dog to come to me. Finally, when nothing else worked I went to our local animal control trying to borrow a cage. When I was told I would have to surrender the animal I changed plans. I went to my father and borrowed a 'possum trap.' I baited it with hot dogs, bologna and peanut butter. I left it and the next morning I went to retrieve whatever I had caught. I rounded the corner to a snarling, growling, barking mess a Pit Bull. I had rescued Pit Bulls before and thought nothing of it; he's just a dog after all. I drug him in the cage, still being his 'fearsome' self into our backyard, so he couldn't escape me again. I had a crate waiting to transfer him to, as I didn't know what he would actually do, however, he escaped them both! With some tense moments he circled my yard looking for an 'out' them he circled in front of me... trying to figure out what I would do, I guess. I sat in the shade under my kids swing set and inch by inch, he and I moved closer to one another. Finally his head came to rest on my hand and we became friends. I had no intentions of keeping him, I was simply going to vet him and find him a home... because that's what I do. Long story shortened... he met my husband and his future was set, he would stay and become Second Chance AKA Monkey. When I took him to the vet he was so scared he pissed all over me, just at the site of other people. I thought to myself..."poor babe, what did they do to you?" It turned out that he was between 7-9 months old, it clicked in my head, he had been born at the time my Kayla had left this earth. I believe in signs and this was mine, thought he was nothing like her, I thought him just as special. 
          Roughly about 6 months later, while rescuing another girl who had been dumped at my sisters with a belly full of babies, I found her puppies to be (well at least one) the cutest Boxer mix puppy I'd seen since Kayla. He was always the first to my car when I arrived and they were old enough to walk and the last to leave my side. He was named Frank Sinatra. He was the cutest Boxer pup with the biggest blue eyes you'd ever seen. He was born in May, Kayla's birth month, and again I took it as a sign, and after some martial debates with my husband... he stayed too! As he grew, he went from a Boxer with blue eyes to a Red Nose Pit Bull with golden eyes. We lost one of our 'Brat Pack'  Cu- Bear, whom passed away shortly after the New Year and I had lost my last girl. I know my little guys are genetic mishaps, as they are indeed in-bred, that's why I have them. I found myself with 6 boys.  We also have Marvelous Marvin Martian, the 3 legged wonder cat. He is now 11 years old and was found by my daughter as a stray in Upstate New York; he has survived a cancer like virus that took his arm, as well as a bladder blockage that also required another appendage be removed and now is one daily medication to help him poo. But he is still marvelous.  We also acquired P. Diddy, the little kitty, roughly in between Chance and Frank's coming, he had been abandoned by his feral cat family, he weighed less than a pound and was soaking wet when he was found by my husband under the woodpile at his body shop. He now weighs in at a whooping 18 pounds and has never been hungry since! I live on the border of Kernersville and Winston Salem with my now reformed dog loving, Pit Bull advocating husband, my daughter Hailey, who is a junior vollie for CCB, my stepson and our 'herd' (not a pack because they are not all dogs) of boys;

 Rowdy & Weezer - Rat Terrier/ Jack Russell/ Dash hound/ Chi-wah Mixes AKA Mutts

Chance AKA Monkey - Pit Bull


Frank AKA Frankenstein - Pit Bull/ Boxer Mix

Marvelous Marvin Martian - Orange Tabby Cat

P. Diddy - Orange Tabby Cat

     I love the breed. I have been described as being like 'Pit Bull' on many an occasion... so I guess it's meant to be.  I am loud, tenaciousness, head strong and strong willed. I am loyal to a fault and see good in all creatures, minus man, but I think we can be saved from ourselves as well. This breed can change minds, it changed my husbands... Chance is now daddy's boy and a champion for our favorite phase... “He is not perfect, but he is perfect for me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment