July 8, 2011

We Asked - You Answered!

"Do you think prong and shock collars have a place in today's dog training, or are effective tools for pit bull-type dogs?"


Jaynine Howard
 There is much controversy on what discipline is and what abuse is. This is a heated topic for parents and dog owners. No one wants to be around the unruly child or the ill mannered dog. But, where do you draw the line on whether it is discipline or abuse?

I presently do not use a bark collar or one of the wireless fences that requires the use of a collar that can shock or zap a dog if he or she barks or gets too close to the fence. Prior to owning a dog I thought they were cruel and inhumane. I would never have considered owning one. But, now that I am a dog owner the thought has crossed my mind for several reasons.

Let’s first discuss the bark collar. I know many people that have successfully used the bark collar on the lowest setting to stop unwanted barking. They only used the collar active a few times. When the dog returns to the bad habit of barking the owner will put back on the collar but not activated and the dog will stop the unwanted behavior. Through the use of conditioning and association the unwanted behavior is stopped. When a dog stops barking everyone in the household and the neighborhood are happy. Teaching a dog manners and curtailing nuisance barking is a social responsibility. I would rather not hear a dog bark and see him or her wearing the bark collar than to see the dog in a shelter or homeless because the pet owner and the neighbors could not stop the barking using other behavior modification methods.

Now the invisible fence also at first seemed a bit harsh. But, now that I am a pet owner the price of installing a fence is not in my budget. The invisible fences are not cheap either. However, they are an alternative to keeping the dog indoors all day. Dogs need fresh air and exercise. They enjoy lying in the sun soaking up the rays. I think a dog’s quality of life improves when given the opportunity to run outside and enjoy the fresh air without having to be on a leash all the time.

Dog owners need to be responsible. If that means that the behavior modification technique used to invoke the appropriate or desired behavior is through the administration of shock then I vote it in its favor. I would rather see a disciplined dog wearing a shock collar than a dog sitting unwanted in a shelter or running loose as a stray or worse being beat or kicked in an attempt to discipline the dog. Used in moderation the shock collar can be a beneficial tool to training a dog and allowing it to roam outside within limits without having to be on a leash.

2 comments:

  1. my sentiments exactly!! i've used the underground fence for 14 years now and it has worked wonderfully. The one thing i can always say is, i have never had to see one of my babies laying dead in the road.

    The one thing i recommend is to replace the collars, that come with the fence, with their stubborn dog collars. most dogs are far more intelligent than we give them credit for and in a fairly quick time span, learn they can sit next to the fence and wear the battery down. with the stubborn dog collars, it will beep and, if they stay to long 'in the zone', it will produce a shock.

    right now i have 3 dogs, from 50lbs to 117lbs and all of them stay in the yard, run around freely and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dog Baxter never learned to walk on a leash. We used a harness that just enabled and encouraged him to think he was a sled dog. I recently bought a "pinch" collar. It was a tough decision, but once I tried it out on myself and Baxter it was a perfect fit for him. I used to have to hand him off to my husband after about three minutes b/c I'd have the leash wrapped so tightly around my hand from him pulling. He's so easy to control with this collar and never pulls. I'm hoping to switch him to a regular collar in a few months and not have to use the pinch collar. It's looks worse than it is but it's worked for me!

    ReplyDelete