July 8, 2011

Volunteer Spotlight: Megan Ward

Currently, I am seventeen, I just graduated from the Hawbridge School, and I am entering college at ACC as a jumping off point for my animal career. I love animals (I have nine of them) especially pit bulls. They are my life.

I cannot say that my involvement with bully breeds was at all predicted. I always felt sorry for the bullies that I saw on the news, and on those animal cop shows, and it always sickened me the way they rarely tell you what became of them, because nothing became of them. They were euthanized and it wasn’t fair. That, however, was about the extent of my concern for pit bulls. I had no idea to what extent this breed was abused, misunderstood, and discriminated against. That all changed when I found Natalia.

She was a tiny, thin, goofy looking pit bull that I ran across on a walk. The man who owned her was a back yard breeder, who had tried numerous times to dump her on the side of the road, only to find that she would make her way back. She was twenty-five pounds, and her skin was covered in staff infection and mange. I told the man to give me three days to find a rescue that would take her in. I contacted rescues all over the state, and in surrounding states, only to find that they were all past their limit with dogs. Meanwhile, I fought with my parents to let me take her in. On the last of my three days, I was forced to pick her up. My last call was to Guilford County Animal Shelter. The words I would hear next would be stuck in my head forever. “We don’t take in pit bulls. If you bring her here we will put her down.” After that, I named the dog Natalia and she was safe with me.

As Natalia started her new life with me, I began to notice how prejudiced some people were against pit bulls. It hurt me to see parents tell their kids “no” when they wanted to pet Natalia. “thats a mean doggy” one person said. Once I was even cussed out by a woman at a park for letting Natalia sniff her dog. I then began to learn about BSL laws, where family dogs are ripped from their homes and killed.Through my love and passion for Natalia, I wanted to become involved in helping pit bulls. And I wanted to do it through Natalia. I enrolled her in “Basic Obedience for Bully Breeds” at Paws4ever, taught by Amanda Liston, president of “Carolina Care Bullies”. Amanda and Terry helped shy little Natalia flourish, and they helped me become a better pit bull owner and advocate. Thanks to them, Natalia is attending parties, events, and is getting along with everyone. Everywhere she goes, she leaves a lasting impression on the people she meets. She is becoming a true breed ambassador! We are going for her Canine Good Citizen soon! I was so motivated by Amanda and Terry’s work (and the book, “The Lost Dogs”) that it hit me. “Thats what I want to do with my life! I want to rescue pit bulls!”

So now I have joined them as a volunteer. Being a volunteer for CCB not only shows me first-hand what it takes to run a rescue, but it also forces me to open up and work with people. This has always been a struggle for me, due to Asperger’s Syndrome.

It just makes no sense to me how such a loyal, sweet dog breed with such a great personality could be so misunderstood, and persecuted. I just hope one day I can make a difference. I suppose if I make as big of a difference as CCB has so far, I’m doing pretty great.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great story. I wish more people your age were so passionate about pit bulls the world would be a better place

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a hero! The work you're doing is really important. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome story! Like you, I started learning about Pit Bulls when we rescued our 1st one Charlie when she was only 4wks old. But you've got a big head start one me! I was 27 before I learned about breed prejudices & how ridiculous some people would act when they found out she was one of those "vicious pit bulls". Yea right! Charlie is a lover, as are most pit bulls.

    What's even more awesome is that not only did you rescue Natalia, you did the right thing & contacted a trainer that new a lot about bully breeds. So now when you take Natalia places & people see how wonderful she is, you have the chance to change some perceptions about the breed! That's the best part about having a well-behaved Pit Bull..taking her everywhere & showing her off! :)

    PS: One little trick I've learned to make people smile as soon as they see my Charlie (or our other rescued APBT, Jackson) is to put a shirt on them..haha. I have UNC jerseys that I put on them sometimes & people immediately smile when they see them wearing them. Then they ask about them & I can talk about what great dogs they really are.

    ReplyDelete