May 6, 2011

Volunteer Spotlight: Kenton Bradford & Rae Boney

Kenton and I both grew up in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. We were in the same circle of friends towards the end of high school, then went in different directions for college and lost touch.

Kenton had a friend that started a private rescue in Charlotte when he was living in that area; Kenton’s love for the Bullies began then. He saw first-hand the abuse and misunderstanding that was focused on the breed. He saw dogs that came from very bad situations that just wanted to be loved. He moved back to his home town in 2009 and went looking for a companion at the Humane Society. He fell in love with Lola, but was put on a waiting list for her adoption. Kenton didn’t give up there, he visited her almost every day, and after several people on the list where disqualified due to breed restrictions and seeing Kenton’s true devotion to Lola he was able to take her home!

On one of my visits back home I was visiting with some old friends and in walks the most gorgeous red dog I had ever seen, and right behind her was Kenton! I like to tease him that I fell in love with Lola first, and was going to take her home that first night! I had always felt that Pit Bulls where the most handsome of all the dogs I had ever seen. And after being reconnected with Kenton, we decided it would be great to get a companion dog for Lola. We went to the WASPCA and walked out with Carrie, a beautiful brindle that very day. My love for Carrie a Stafford Terrier was automatic, and she loves me back more than I could ever hope for.

I started doing a little googling on the breed and was just horrified at the bad rap these awesome dogs have been getting over the years, horrified that all their wonderful qualities are being overshadowed by bad press. Kenton had always wanted to foster but hadn’t been in the right position or living space to do so, but now he could! I did a google search and loved CCB’s reach across the state. We got our first fosters soon after from an area up in the mountains, and we knew it had been the right decision the moment we saw their adorable faces!

I fell fast and hard for these wonderful animals that have been so abused and misunderstood by us humans. Their love is so unconditional!

Kenton and I spend our free time working in our garden, playing with our furbabies, and spending time with my 8 year old son Sebastion, who is already a Pit Bull defender!

This is just the beginning of our relationship with CCB! We are looking forward to saving many more Bullies and helping to educate the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment