December 5, 2010

Volunteer Spotlight

Jessica Harrell

I never do what is easy or convenient. Better than that, I always follow my heart. My parents called it rebellious, but I just call it passionate. I’m 23 and married my husband 3 years ago, right before he deployed to Afghanistan with the U.S. Army. I adopted my first rescue dog in 2009 when I moved to Fayetteville, NC to set up our first apartment alone. I got a brindle boxer I named Boss because he immediately took over my life in every aspect. He slept in my empty bed with me, made me laugh and kept me safe. I remember picking him up from the transport that brought him to me; he sat on the floor in the back of my car and rested his chin on my shoulder as I drove home. It was instantly love. I remember realizing how sad my world could have been if I had not met Boss, and that I wanted to bring all these amazing, once unwanted dogs to loving families they so deserved. So, I began volunteering with boxer rescues here in North Carolina. It’s a year and a half later and we have acquired our own house, and 2 more dogs of our own. Another boxer, Phoenix, and a pit bull, Ruby who fueled a new passion of this abused and misunderstood breed.

I began volunteering with Carolina Care Bullies this past July and have loved every minute of it. I had the privilege of fostering puppies Lilo, Knox and Gordie, and most recently, Duke. I am now on my 5th foster through them, Charlotte. I have learned to stop assuming “oh, someone else will do something to help that dog” when I see urgent postings. I just don’t think people understand how much they all truly have to offer these dogs. People sometimes make fun of me as a crazy dog lady, but the way I see it, I have a home, and these dogs needed homes! I wish everyone would stop making excuses, because there are always a million reasons not to do something, but saving an innocent dog’s life will outweigh all of those. My friend Kim says I never dip my toe in the pool, and that I just jump right in. I guess that’s true. I genuinely believe you either do, or you don’t. In my “all in” philosophy, I have also recently become the Adoption Coordinator for CCB. I answer questions from potential adopters, draw out adoption contracts, and check references.

I’m slowly but surely finishing up my Bachelor’s Degree in criminal justice. Also this summer I began painting. Turns out I’m not half bad! I’ve managed to turn my art into a part time job for myself. I also donated some paintings to CCB fundraisers.

Today I was out in the yard with our latest foster, Charlotte, who shows signs of abuse and fear of humans. I got her to play with me, and then while she stopped to rest, she layed down in the grass, stretched her back legs behind her. As the gentle breeze crossed her soft face, she looked at me and smiled. I realized this is what it’s all for. I thrive off the change being brought into these gentle souls.


Jessica Harrell
Adoption Coordinator - Carolina Care Bullies
Link to Jessica's art page:  Squishy Face Art

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that look of content, that look that says "I trust you and I know you love me" - thats what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete