April 13, 2010

Dog Park...it's a no no!

If you enjoy off-leash dog parks, you don't want to hear this. But I am going to tell you anyway. If you choose to become the owner of a Pit Bull, your dog park days are almost surely over, at least when the dog is somewhere over 8 months old. Accidental dogfights in off-leash parks are common, but when a Pit Bull is involved, they are headlines. Following Pit Bull Golden Rule #1 "NEVER trust your pit bull not to fight", you can see why off-leash parks are a very bad idea for our breed. As a Pit Bull owner, you have certain responsibilities. Your responsibility to your dog (to keep him/her out of trouble), your responsibility to other dog owners (to keep their dogs safe from your dog), and your responsibility to your breed (to keep your dog OUT of negative headlines). Even pit bulls that have never exhibited dog aggression may fight back if approached by the wrong dog in an aggressive manner. I will repeat this for you. As the owner of a pit bull, any fight will always be your fault, no matter who started it... 
Written By: Amanda Liston, President of CCB


Where are some fun places you take your pittie to socialize and play?




        


3 comments:

  1. I take my boy Skip to the dog park at night when no one else is there, to meet up and play with his pitty buddy Mako. I will only let him play with other dogs I trust. I feel it is better to have small play groups with dogs and owners you trust then to risk dealing with dogs and people you have never might and who may be unpredictable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few friends that I allow Sadie to play with. Most dogs are scared of her rough play. I also take her and her siblings on walks to the park, never off leash. And we also go on hikes into the woods. Again, never off leash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live within walking distance of the American Tobacco Trail so we take walks there. They get to meet other dogs, people, including kids, and are also exposed to bicyclists, roller bladers, runners, etc. so it's always an adventure.

    PetSmart is another favorite of mine. Again, they get to meet lots of people and other animals, not just dogs. The workers are also very dog friendly. It's a great controlled environment.

    This may sound a bit odd but whenever one of my dogs has a vet appt. I take them all, (the number varies, lol). It's another dog friendly place where they get a lot of positive interaction.

    ReplyDelete