June 11, 2012

Volunteer Spotlight: Megan Davis

Volunteer Spotlight: Megan Davis


I have raised several different wonderful dogs over the course of my 28 yrs, with my family and on my own.  These dogs ranged from Labrador Retriever mixes to golden retriever mixes to a Pomeranian to a cocker spaniel.  However, I always had a soft spot in my heart for these powerful working/family dogs known as Pit Bulls, whom have been so undeservedly misrepresented by so many people.  When I would have the pleasure of encountering a Pit Bull with their responsible family members they would always be so happy to make a new friend and in many instances would try to get in my lap if they could.  Having never had the opportunity to raise a Pit Bull personally, the only opportunity I had prior to my volunteer and fostering experience through CCB, to gain interaction with and credible knowledge of the breed was through personal research and from other responsible pet owners who did have the pleasure of having them in their lives.  I never really knew how to go about finding the best way that I could be productive in my desire to help make a difference.  It was late October 2011 and I was walking through brier creek in Raleigh, NC and CCB happened to be having their final adoption event in that location.  I met Kendall and Chloe, the Kardashian pups, and the wonderful Lt. Dan whom I just fell in love with on the spot.  I also met Amanda and Terry and several other fosters and volunteers that were participating with this event.  I ended up having such a good experience with everyone that I stayed until the event ended and I took a business card home, found the Carolina care bullies Facebook page, and became a fan.  A few weeks later I saw a post stating the immediate need of a crate for a foster dog over the next few days.  I happened to have my crate free during that time, so I contacted CCB and coordinated with current volunteers to get the crate to the person who needed it that same night.  This was my very first experience as an official volunteer with CCB.  Since that night I have had the pleasure of even more opportunities to contribute, participate and learn from others, directly as a foster and indirectly as a volunteer.  I learned how I can be productive and help better the lives of many of the wonderful dogs CCB has had the pleasure of knowing and I have gained the knowledge to educate others about these dogs and how CCB also helps better these dogs’ lives. I have participated in adoption and community education events within my local community and a wonderful community outreach program that CCB conducts each year called Pitt Bulls in the Park.  This event educates and assists as many people as possible that need and want it.  This was one of the most wonderful experiences I have ever been fortunate enough to be a part of.  I have been fortunate enough to have fostered 2 wonderful baby bullies and help them find their families. I am so grateful to have been given the opportunity to participate with so many other great people to help make a positive difference in North Carolina for these wonderful furry friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment