September 4, 2010

Featured Happy Ending: Oliver


“I don’t know why we don’t just keep that dog” was an off-hand comment I made to my wife the day I met Oliver (“Ollie”) that started the ball rolling towards his adoption. You’d think a man as old as me would learn to keep his mouth shut but, nope, I can’t do it. It’s like a compulsion put into men by God so their wives can adopt homeless pit bulls. At 0430 every morning my ears are completely cleaned by the tongue of one of the most energetic beings I have ever met. And until I get up he will constantly ask, “Is it time to go for a walk yet?” and “What time are we going to start playing catch?” If I’d only kept my mouth shut. I’m sure every husband out there has asked themselves that question a thousand times. By 0445, I’ll have my shoes on and Ollie, Pete (Ollie’s older brother and his favorite dog in the whole wide world), and I will load up into my old Dodge and head to the woods for a morning walk (aka rabbit chasing, mud puddle slurping, game of king of the mountain, morning constitution, etc) followed by a relaxing game of catch (usually about 50 wind sprints after his favorite toy -- a slobbery, mud-covered tennis ball).

Ollie was found wandering the streets of a trailer park in western NC, apparently abandoned by a family that had recently moved. He was placed in a kill shelter, was pulled by a local rescue organization and the nearly month-long ordeal ended when he was taken in by Carolina Care Bullies. He became a foster in our home in March and before summer had arrived Ollie became a permanent fixture in our home. Over the last few months Ollie has learned many important things: it’s best to pee outside; cat-chasing is for sissies; Pete, his older brother, will protect him from all harm and is a wise dog to emulate; Cessie his little sister (Pomeranian) will bite the snot out your lip if you aggravate her long enough; and Moma is the best reason in the world to get out of bed in the morning.

Ollie is a constant source of entertainment and love all rolled up into a 45 lb body. Everyone who meets Ollie always ask the same question, “What kind of dog is that?” It’s a tiresome question, so now I just answer, “He’s an Ollie - a rare breed from western NC known for their loving nature, tennis ball obsessions, and inability to control their licker”.

I have a weak spot for the discarded ones like Ollie because they have the same dreams as an old Soldier like myself … Home. Welcome Home, son.
-Ollie’s Pa

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading Ollie's blog from day 1. I just fell in love with that little cutie. Watching him learn how to use the doggie door, to wrestling with Pete, to taking all his toys to the bed upstairs...he's just been a joy to watch and read about. I'm so glad for all that his foster's became his permanent family. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete